Subject: Re: [Leica] The New Solms AF
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 98 20:32:27 -0000

Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil, wrote

>But just as there are
>     those today who'd refuse to consider any such AF camera a "true Leica,"
>     so years ago, no doubt, there were those who refused to consider any
>     SLR a "true Leica"

I think there are many today who still think the Leica SLR's are not
"true" Leica's.  Just remember the ridiculous posts a few months back and
also the way to long thread 6 or months back about the "real" Leica.

A camera as stolidly bassed in tradition and that has the myth the Leica
has is going to have a huge resistance to any drastic changes.  The lore
and mysticism around the Leica is almost a cult for many.

Please don't take this wrong as I personally believe in the quality of
the optics and the bodies, I do shoot with a full line of both M and R
gear and sold a Canon EOS system to switch to Leica.  I just think there
are a large number of Leica users who like the simplicity and tradition
of the M cameras and they are a very vocal bunch and do not want to see a
change.  I also must say that I agree with many of their points.  If I
wanted fast AF ect I would have stayed with Canon.  The thing that drew
me to Leica was first the quality of the glass, and second and just as
important, the feel of quality, not plastic, in the well manufactured
equipment.  A feeling that is no longer there in the plastic lenses and
bodies of the other major brands.

Auto focus is nice, but there were many outstanding photos made before AF
and there will be many continuing to be made without AF.  I for one would
rather have the build of the non AF lenses than have the AF.  I literally
wore out an 80-200 2.8 L Canon lens helicoids twice just from normal
professional use.  This was one of Canon's top pro lenses, and I found it
kind of riduclous that I had to replace the helicoids just because I used
the lenses.  I never had such a thing happen with non AF lenses, Nikon or
Leica back when I worked for a daily newspaper and the wire services and
I used my gear a lot more and harder back then.

So AFAIC Leica can stay non AF.  If they find some way to incorporate the
AF with the rugged lenses they now make, fine, as long as it is FAST and
reliable.  For now I would much rather them figure out how to make a damn
motor faster than 4 fps, well I guess that is assuming there really is
going to be a 4 fps R8 motor in my lifetime!!!

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto