Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [Rollei] Jazz Photography
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 98 21:21:48 -0000

This is the way I have always thought and acted whenever I am covering
anything.  Others have paid to be there and I am only a guest and to
abuse the guest privileges and get in the way of those who have paid to
be there is only asking for trouble and  a bad reputation.  Unfortunately
there are many in today's news field who think they are above everything
including moral and ethical considerations.

I remember a time when it was an honor to be a member of the media, now
it is an embarrassment.

I have not shot jazz, but have photographed many rock, blues and country
acts and have found it is best to meter the faces with a spot meter and
go from there.  Only on VERY rare occasions have I used a flash.  Flash
destroys the ambience created by the stage lighting.

Jeff Spirer, wrote

>8) Remember that the customers paid to see the musicians perform.  The club
>cares more about getting their patronage than what you are doing.  Courtesy
>and respect goes a long way.  (Well this is probably true of most
>photography except reportage, but many photographers don't seem to
>understand this.)

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto