Subject: [Leica] R8 Winder Is On The Way
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:20:33 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

My year wait for a winder is almost over.  I just spoke with Eric at
Tamarkin and I'll have my new R8 winder hopefully tomorrow.

Now I'm on another waiting list for the Tri-Elmar M lens due out this
Summer.  Cost may be about $2000.  I'm looking forward to trying this lens
out sight unseen.  I guess I could always sell it if I don't like it or put
it in a box for my kids inheritance.

The recently announced (on the LUG) new Leica M swing out polarizer will
fit most of the Leica M lenses that have a 39mm or 44?mm front diameter.
The older swing out polarizer filter and shade was a bit difficult for me
to use.  I ordered one of the news ones also sight unseen.  I think the
price is about $280.

The 75 Summilux M lens is now being made in Germany - as reported here on
the LUG.  Price has been dropped to $2375 from $2700.  Perhaps Leica Solms
can make it a bit cheaper than buying it from Hughes Optical or who ever
made the lens in Canada and then adding their mark-up.

It seems that ever since Leica went public, they have been on a roll with
the introduction of a bunch of new lenses and accessories.  I find it
difficult to times to purchase them fast enough <bg>.  In many ways, it is
very encouraging to see all this activity.  When you visit the main plant
in Solms, it seems small for many world class companies.  The only
reservations I have is about quality control.  I've done well with my
purchases but others on the list have had some problems with defects that
should not have made it to market.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA
Our Home Town Claim To Fame is the QVC Home Shopping Network headqaurters...