Subject: [Leica] Handheld Limit of Noctilux
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 19:46:15 -0500

Larry wrote:

<<<<The discussion recently of the Noctilux has made me wonder at how slow
a shutter speed those of you who use it can RELIABLY get a sharp hand-held
shot.>>>>>

Larry,

There are so many variables involved that to commit to "the slowest all the
time" I can get away with is almost an impossibility.

You can have a rock steady day and shoot a bunch at 1/4 of sec and they all
work.  The next day you can't get it absolutely right at a 1/30th.

Generally I limit my slow shutter speed to 1/15th as I can get away with
that 99.9999999999 % of the time.  Providing of course the subject isn't
hopping around.:)

One is always living dangerously using slow shutter speeds, no matter what
they "believe they can do all the time!" I've said, "hell there's nothing
to it, shooting at 1/8th, 1/4 but there really is something to it.  Body
stance, breathing, tired, hung over! Now there's a killer of slow shutter
speed hand holding if ever there was one.:)  So I've been told!;)

But 1/15th is a safe bet most of the time.  I've held a few at 1/2 but you
have your back to the wall for both light and luck to be successful with
that too often.

If you'd like to get an idea of how little light there is when you are
shooting at a 1/15th at f 1.0 with ASA 3200 film, just think "available
darkness!"  Let me assure you it's not very bright, but the right subject
and making what little light there is work for you, the images can be quite
awesome. Actually exciting when you have got away with it. :)

Shooting colour under similar conditions can make your heart go pitty pat
looking at them on the light table. Whether it's pushed 1600 transparency
or asa 100  makes for some ooooooo's and ahhhhhh's. With 100 film hand held
the existing light level is higher, but the slower speed film makes the
shooting just as difficult as the film is less sensitive. But you still
have to use slow shutter speeds to get the correct exposure.

But capturing subjects on slow speed film of 100 can be very interesting
when the back grounds have gone into an ethereal mush of colours and your
main subject sitting out in sharp space..  Gorgeous!!!

So that's why I always question anyone buying a Noctilux or a Summilux and
never shooting at least some things with the lens wide open. Actually
ludicrous to own the worlds fastest lens and then never at least try it
wide open.

It's the ultimate "KODAK MOMENT!" :)

But then there are lots of Leica lenses that work just as beautifully wide
open, it's just that most folks never think of using the lens wide open.
Even in daylight!

I believe there was a survey done many years ago by "Leitz" to determine
the widest aperture used on average by most people.

The majority response was something like 4 or 5.6. Which immedietly beget
the question, "Why are we worrying about making fast aperture lenses?"
All I can say is, "I for one, am very glad they kept making fast aperture
lenses!" :) Regardless of the majority

ted