Subject: [Leica] 50mm Summilux Question
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:46:53 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I use the 50/2 Summicron and the much beloved 50/1 Noctilux.  The Noctilux
is great but boy does it weigh a ton.  I have tried carrying it for trips
but often get a sore neck.  My 50mm Summicron is great but wish it had just
another stop of speed for those moments when you don't want to be noticed.
I take a Leica with me when I travel to lecture.  I guess I'm just another
HCB "wanna be <bg>."  I guess I could be worse things.

Question:  Does anyone out there really like to 50/1.4 Summilux M lens over
the Summicron?  It almost seems the Summicron is the gold standard for 50mm
lenses and if you want extra speed - just go for the Summilux.  I guess
weight is the biggest factor here.  I want the biggest aperture with the
least amount of weight.  The one thing I have learned that has had a
trmendous influence in my Leica photos is to shoot wide open.  That is
actually the biggest lesson I have got from this list.  And it works.
Photos look different from the many I have studied and observed over the
past year.  Maybe I should just tape my aperture rings so the lenses only
work wide open.  That would be interesting.

Anyone use the 50mm Summilux and love it wide open?

Thanks,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA