Subject: Re: [Leica] Slow Exposures and Tack Sharpness
From: LP6@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 16:09:22 EST

Mike:

Re:  Your storied response to Ted:

Enjoyed this "story" of yours, and have lived  the moment  you describe, where
you just know  in your bones you've captured a tack sharp image at a slow
exposure speed and wide open!  (A situation found often in available light
photography)   And,  too, vice versa, you know in your bones you've got an
unsharp result!   Isn't intuition grand!  I wonder if this "sense" has any
gender loading?

In my case I don't drink coffee, don't drink alcohol much, don't smoke; but,
have do have food (wheat), and sugar sensitivities that I  have come to know
throw me off!  Moreover,  I'm aware that distractions  (I must fight them in
shooting good pictures) can ruin my concentration; for they give me a
momentary attentional deficit disorders  (ADD) at times!    ADD and sharpness
don't mix any better than sawdust and ice cream!

There is a personal lesson here; namely, If we knew  how we got our good
result (under difficult conditions); why, then, we could  make it happen more
often.  It's called getting the good things in life!

....And this leads me to my favorite subject (alas, not everybodies) of
photography as a way to "know thyself" (I mean psychologically spiritually
apart from the biochemical idnviduality of coffee, wheat, sugar effects,
etc.).....As a "royal road" to self discovery?

I'm struggling with a manuscript on "Photography and Self", and if I get
enough encouragement from " he LUG" and or find courage down the road,  I
might share more about how I photography can help us image ourselves....know
ourselves better!  Certainly pushing the envelope of wide open, slow speed
image capture is one encounter with self for the person (not everyone) who
chooses think about it this way.

Leon
LP6@aol.com