Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm Summilux ASPH imaging (was: Ein Stuck Lens ?)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 00:25:58 +0100

Jeff - if it was that mail, which said at first that the 1.4/35
asph Summilux makes double contours in the unsharp area, I remember
your letter very good. It made me looking have of the night for
double contours in my pictures :)

I agree to you in several aspects. The in-focus (= sharp) area of
the 1.4/35 asph Summilux is really impressing, and I have never seen
something like this before in any other 35 mm lens, specially at f 1.4.

The out-of-focus (=unsharp) area is $@%&$& - not always, but too often.

From Ferdinands prints (daylight pix) I see, that the 2/35 asph Summicron
is almost as sharp (in the corresponding f-stops) as the Summilux, but has
a far more pleasant out-of-focus performance. At f 5.6 and above it should
be better (but that's a guessing).

The comment "almost as sharp" from above results from the fact, that I
have slides of the Summilux, and prints from Ferdinand. The prints are
a less sharp than the slides (of course), or a very little less sharp
than cibachromes from my slides.

From (lots of) own experience I see, that the old non-asph Summicron _is_
better (than the Summilux) at f 5.6 and above and above 30 feet (at all
f-stops): More sharp, more pleasant.

The out-of-focus performance of the 2/35 asph Summicron is very pleasant
in my perception also, and comparable to the non-asph Summicron (though
more contrasty).

Alf