Subject: [Leica] red dot - the point
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 10:40:53 -0500

David wrote:

<<<if i am trying to communicate with a portrait subject, i'd rather they
didn't get distracted by a red dot - its hard enough to coax someone into
looking directly into the lens.>>>>>>>>

David,

Your not serious are you? That a person sitting for a portrait would be
distracted by the Leica red dot? Not really? Surely!

Have you had someone while sitting for a portrait actually say something
about the red dot? Or had their eyeline been distracted by it?  Given the
size compared to the overall atmosphere of a studio or outdoor portarit
sitting, I find it hard to believe a sitter would be "off their feed" over
the small marking on the camera.?

<<<<what anyone that ever took a class in 2 dimensional design knows is
that bright or colorful (espescially red) highlights grabs a viewers eye>>>

This is quite true. However I think you are slightly over reacting to that
little red dot in this context of portrait sittings, unless your using a
21mm for as close as you can get pictures! :)

ted