Subject: [Leica] Mixed feelings about the Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 20:38:43 -0500

Pascal wrote:

<<<This is important as focusing wide-open can be very critical.>>>>

Hi Pascal,

Well that goes without saying when working at f1.4. It takes some practice
to get it critical every time. I don't imagine there are too many who get
it absolutely right on the mark in sharp focus for every single frame they
shoot, particularly if you are hand holdig and shooting moving objects.

Least of all me. :) You win some, you loose some.

<<Somewhat disappointed about the overall image quality.>>>>

gee I don't know about your lens, but mines great and I've been hammering
on it for close to 14 years. Including bouncing it off the concrete jumping
out of a van that was still moving slightly faster than I should have been
jumping out of! :) Didn't break any glass, screwed up the infinity focus
and bent the front ring of the lens.

Got it hammered back out and then eventually had the ring replaced and it
still works beautifully. It still requires very careful focusing at 1.4.

<<<I am not entirely satisfied. My own feeling of "subjective sharpness"
tells me my images are not always as tack-sharp as I would like them to be.
Mind you, I would not call the quality bad. No, it feels rather good or
average. Nothing very Leica about it.>>>>>>

Did you ever have it sent to Leica for testing? Just in case it was off?

<<<<This is especially a pity in view of the very high price of this lens.
In terms of image quality, I am beginning to feel as if I should have gone
for the Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm instead of the Summilux. I was hesiting
last year when making the choice, but I am slowly starting to regret my
decision.>>>>>>

But Pascal you are talking about two completely different lenses doing two
different things.  The 80 is meant to be used at 1.4 and the macro lens,
hell you can use it anywhere and it's incredible. But it can't be compared
to the same situation use as the 80. One is like the fastest jet and the
other is a nice slow moving carefully riding biplane.

It maybe you have a problem lens? Always a possibility and if you are as
dissatisfied as you appear, it's worth a test on the bench.  The rest of us
use our 80 f 1.4's with great satisfaction and I use mine wide open any
number of times for all kinds of subjects. Moving and otherwise.

ted