Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Off topic Photo workshop
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 07:16:33 -0800

At 07:49 PM 2/26/98 , you wrote:
>I am thinking of taking one of Bruce Barnbaum's black and white workshops-
>either fall or winter. Have any of you out there taken one of these. I know
>from his writing that he is quite the craftsman ( artist too). My technique
>seems to have reached a plateau and I need some help getting to the next
>level. If anyone has any thoughts on this topic I would like to hear them.
Are
>there other B&W workshops worth attending? TIA

I haven't taken Barnbaum's workshop, despite the fact that he lives just
up the road from me.  However, one of my friends took the workshop and
came away waxing enthusiastic about Bruce, B&W printing, photography,
and life in general.  I've seen my friends prints from before and after
the workshop, and not only did his printing improve but I think that he
got jogged out of a bit of a rut photographically as well.

I *have* taken John Sexton's workshop on B&W printing, and I've got
nothing but positive things to say about it.  John is a great guy and a
great teacher, his staff are just about the most friendly and helpful
folks on the planet, and I came away newly fired up about photography
and with a bunch of good printing techniques in my pocket with which
I think I've really advanced.  There aren't many things in this world
I can recommend without reservation but I'm sure that anything John
is associated with would fall into that category.  (I've worked in the
software industry where hard work and long hours are the norm, and
I've never seen anyone work as hard as John does.)

Lastly, I don't know if Ruth Bernhard is still doing workshops or not, but
I took a two day workshop with her at the Coupevill Arts Center on
Whidbey Island, WA, and she was amazing.  (But that's not a workshop
on craftsmanship).

- -Paul