Subject: Re: [Leica] ZOOM vs. Fixed?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 09:27:57 -0600

At 06:00 PM 2/27/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello there.
>
>I have always been under the impression that a zoom lens will not be as
>good as a fixed lens. Is this true?  What are the differences.  Right

Yes and no. Zoom lenses are bigger simply because of the complexity of
their mechanisms. But some of the latest zooms provide very little compromise.

Every lens is a compromise. Obviously, the 70-180 2.8 has some compromises
built in, but in its working range, it's the best zoom out there. For
example, and 100mm it's just as good as the 100 Apo Macro, but not at
closeup distances the macro is best suited for. And it comes at a price for
such quality! About $5,000 USD.

But I've never seen any for sale used. That ought to say something.

Just ask Ted.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The young child is looking in the world to find himself -
reflected in a mirror with a thousand faces.

- -Maria Montessori