Subject: Re: [Leica] R8: angel crashed and burned
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:45:19 -0600

Guido,

At 09:30 AM 3/10/98 +0100, you wrote:

> This is my history:

> to start again to use it. I opened the box, put the lens on
> and..... My God it didn't work again, the shutter priority
>and

[snip]

>body and lens again, but now I don't trust the
> R8 system anymore and I'm very very disappointed.
>  I'm a LEICA supporter but I don't want the electronic
> problems let my angel fall down and crash.This damn, 5,000
>USD camera
> (including lens and flash) collected a double fail and I've
>received a
> double uppercut.

I know just how you felt, although my problem was not as great as yours.  I
sold out my M equipment including a 35/1.4 ASPH and the 74/1.4 to Get the
R8 and various lenses.  This was to go to just one camera type and one that
my wife and family could use, as they can't use the M's.

I took it with us on our 50th anniversary trip last Sept, with a second R4
body.  I used both K25 and K200 (I only shoot slides).  I also used some
Elite II asa 200.  After I returned and got the slides back (other than
being a heavy combination for me) I found inconsistency in how the matrix
metered.  Where I had dark and light areas I thought that the matrix would
pick a good average exposure - but it either exposed the light or dark
parts correctly with the other being severly over or under exposed.  this
was why I bought the thing.  Heck I can use a spot meter (I should have
used the one in the camera).  I lost confidence in the exposure, and with
so much invested - I sold out and went back to the M and bought a point and
shoot for the wife. She now has a mini Leica for print film and a Yaschia
T4 for slides. I am happy with the M, except I don't have a 35/1.4 ASPH
anymore and have lost a bunch of money.

Its hard when you lose faith.  But stick in there you may get a winner yet.

Dick Hemingway