Subject: [Leica] More on M6 vs Contax QC
From: Vondauster <Vondauster@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 11:56:24 EST

Hi Folks!

In a message dated 98-03-14 22:45:48 EST, Eric wrote:

<< Well, you might want to talk to some Contax owners first. I've heard
 similar horror stories (like five RTSIII cameras going back to the factory
 - one owner by the way - over and over again). Nikon has similar
 complaints, as does Canon. Pentax even! So think a little bit more before
 jumping. >>

I must agree with Eric here. For many years I used the Contax line, with their
excellent glass, for my 35mm SLR work. During that time, I had a large number
of problems with the system due, mostly, to the lens mount and lens stop down
mechanisms. Jerry Carr at Southeast Denver Camera Repair, and Walter
Delasandri of UNT (thought it best to cite specific sources) both indicated
that this was a weak point of the system. I believe John van Stelton also
mentioned something of the sort to me in passing (John?). The Contax SLR line
also does not yet have matrix metering, like the R8 - or the Canons I now use.

Speaking of Canon: I recently had to return a new (3 month old) EOS Elan IIe
for repair of an electrical problem. I went through my reputable dealer
(Werner's in Denver), who made it clear to Canon that the body is used by a
professional (admitedly as my back up to the 1n). It took four weeks and three
follow up phone calls to get the repaired body back.

I am underwhelmed.

When enough spare cash has accumulated, I will switch over to the R8.

Will von Dauster