Subject: Re: [Leica] Vertical adjustment
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:53:32 -0500

At 06:05 PM 16-03-98 +0100, Neil Frankish wrote:
>My M6, which has performed flawlessly (by the way) is very slightly out of
>vertical adjustment. So slight, in fact, that I don't know when or why it
>occurred. However, now that I *have* noticed it, it has become magnified in
>importance (in my mind, at least). I'd like to adjust it myself so as not
>to be without it for any length of time, but also for my own satisfaction.
>I understand that the vertical adjustment screw is behind the red dot (now
>that might be a reason to complain about the red dot!). I invite comments
>as to the best way to remove the red dot without damage to it or the rim of
>the depression, and what sort of glue might be used to replace it. In
>addition, is there any need to seal the screw with loctite or similar to
>aviod further movement?

I last had my M6's vertical alignment adjusted at Kindermann In Toronto
Canada (they are the Canadian distributer for Leica).  They did the
adjustment while I waited for no charge.  The repairman was a bit perturbed
by the fact that someone previously used the wrong glue to afix the red dot
back on the camera after an earlier adjustment, and he had trouble removing
it.  So there actually IS a proper adhesive to use.  Since it was done for
free, and so quickly, I will let them do all the adjustments for me in the
future.

By the way, I just received my complimentary Leica Handbook (1996/97) from
Kindermann, after I sent them the registration card from my M6HM (I can
just see the collectors out there cringing that I actually sent in a card).
 The card has Solms address on it, but Kindermann advised me that I'd be
much better off sending the card to Kindermann, if I actually wanted to get
the Handbook.

Dan C.