Subject: Re: [Leica] Warranty Cards
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:45:46 -0500

At 09:10 PM 3/16/98 -0500, Paul T Collura wrote:
>I agree with Dan that it is bad enough that many LUGers worship their
>Leicas but to put special importance on the warranty card of a user
>camera borders on pathetic.  NO Leica M6 is an investment and anyone who
>thinks so will be sorely disappointed when the time comes to "cash-in".
>Index funds returned 25% last year far better than any Leica M6.  I for
>one would not pay one cent more for a user camera because it had the
>warranty card.  If a camera is purchased and never touched THEN there
>would be some importance to the warranty card as it may qualify as new
>(although being sold once I am not sure of the legal definition at this
>point of "new").  Any lawyers out there to comment?

Ah, but you aren't the market!  I agree with you -- I am a cheapskate, and
buy used much more than new.  I won't pay extra, as a normal rule, for the
cards.  But there are a lot of folks who will do so, and that can mean some
more money in the pocket when the camera goes on to another home.  I'm
hardly suggesting anyone PAY more for gear with the warranty cards (or
boxes, or packing material):  I am simply commenting on the way the Leica
market works.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!