Subject: Re: [Leica] non-leica lens rolecall
From: cmbrow@mail.wm.edu
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:25:31 +0000

I regularly use the Canon 50/1.2, 35/1.8, and Russar 20/5.6 on
my IIIf.  I picked up the 20/5.6 at a flea market near Amsterdam a
couple of years ago for US $125 w/ finder without knowing much about
it.  It's turned out to be a spectacular performer on the IIIf,
especially with the Ilford b&w films, and I use it now pretty much
exclusively.  In my view, this is one of the *great* non-Leica sm
lenses!  Eventually I'll get a sm to bayonet adapter and put it to
use on the M4-P.  It's pretty astonishing to note that 15 or 20
years ago the Canon lenses were incredibly cheap.  As recently as
five years ago, I paid $25 for the 50/1.2 in mint condition.  They're
not necessarily first-rate lenses, but they do extend into aperture
ranges that Leitz didn't cover.  Now, alas, as collectables, the
prices are such that one might as well buy Leica.

Chandos Michael Brown