Subject: [Leica] Re: Didly-Squat Assignments
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:14:12 -0500

Courtesy of Bill Erfurth frtom a previous post by John J. Stafford

<<<<Holy shit. It really was Alfred Eisenstaedt, on this "Didly"
> assignment in my idea of "nowhere suburbia."  I was so flustered
> that I reshot the whole thing. It ran as a full-page feature, but
> to this day, I'd love to know what Eisenstaed got. I've got to
> believe it was better.>>>>>>>>

Bill,

Many thanks for passing this on to the LUG, as any of us who are members of
photojournalism's bygone days will relate to that story very well.

If ever I can say "been there done that" this is one of the times without
even a blink I can honestly say it with all honesty. And including the same
great photographer, "Alfred Eisenstaedt". Only a different location, in
Montreal, Canada.

The visit of Princess Margaret and although I thought it was a neat
assignment I wasn't blown away as it seemed I was stuck in the back ground
all the time with the "not so regal photographers."  I thought to myself.
"one of these days I'm going to be a LIFE photgrapher and I'll be right up
front with all the big name guys!" When all of a sudden here was "Esie"
commenting about being in the back.

The problem was, there wasn't really a "big name" photo position up front
it was every ones position where we were.  And here I was shooting beside
Esie!  Hey what a lift!  I felt a challenge was on!:)

Of course my imaginary challenge to out shoot him was in my mind and to
look in LIFE next edition about the Royal Tour and see if I did better than
he did. Well in my infintile mind I was out shooting him all the time, as
it seemed I was camera up and blazing away and then I'd look back and he
was still sitting there just looking!

We passed pleasantries and he asked who I was shooting for and we had a
fair old jaw session while waiting at various times while the Princess did
her thing, which interrupted my moment of glory sitting with this "GOD"
photographer whom I worshipped. :)

I thought to myself , "he's not taken any pictures!" certinly none that I
could see him in action.  I have him for sure, these guys aren't so great
after all. :)

Well the next edition of LIFE appeared on the stands and I anxiously
grabbed one so see how I had "beat Esie!" :)  Well for this quiet man with
his Leicas whom I was sure I had blown out of the water, I just sat there
in awe of a couple of "Princessly moments!"  I never knew they even
happened while I was looking at her in  action.

And I was just humbled with how he had picked a situation or two and turned
them into "master pieces of the moment."

This photographer was a "King" in his own right as he quietly took his
pictures along side many of us and each time made us feel better and work
harder to be "just like him!"

ted