Subject: Re: [Leica] A Chatterton Story
From: Shawn London <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 23:57:06 -0500

Bob Figlio wrote:
>Because of Chatterton's attitude and neglect I only bought the M-6 body from
>him. The rest I bought elsewhere and shall continue to do so unless there
>is a good reason to do otherwise.

I agree with you completely on this one.  He listed a Noctilux at a good
price on his web page a few months ago, and I called him up, credit card
in hand, ready to place the order.  He said that he hadn't even unpacked
the lens from the box he received it in, so he had to wait until later to
give details about the condition, etc.  I explained that I intended to
purchase the lens if he could verify that the glass was clean. He said
that was fine and he'd call me back.  I called him again at 5pm pacific
time before he closed, and he said that he still hadn't opened it, and
that he'd call the next day.  Twenty-four hours later, when he didn't
call, I finally did, he admitted that he already sold the lens.

After several painless transactions with KEH Camera, who have always been
polite, returned phone calls promptlyl, and delivered goods when they
promised them, I can't imagine chasing anybody like Don Chatterton to let
me give him my money. The business is competitive enough that, at the
very least, you should get polite and punctual service.  When you're
buying from somebody, they're making money off YOU, not the other way
around.  They should be the one putting forth the effort.