Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summilux
From: Shawn London <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:21:45 -0500

> I could sell my car and buy a Nocti, but my real
>question is, what about the Summilux?  In several months of dilligent
>reading of the LUG, I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned.  What does
>the LUG think of this lens?  Does anyone ever use one?  Any comments would
>be greatly apprectiated.

I purchased a 50mm Summilux as an alternative to a Noctilux due to the
fact that it is more suited to general use because of its smaller size
and lighter weight.  I have used the lens mainly wide open to take
advantage of its available light capabilities and to utilize minimal
depth of field.  In using both black and white and color film, I can say
without reservation that I love the lens.  It is sharp at max aperture,
and exhibits flare in only the most adverse conditions.  The lens
possesses an extremely smooth out-of-focus rendition.  Focusing wide open
is slightly more critical than with a lens like the 35mm Summicron, for
instance, but is not a problem.

If I started doing a lot of shooting outdoors during the day, I might
consider a collapsible Elmar or the like for flat-out convenience, but
the weight and size of the Summilux are definitely acceptable to buy this
lens for all-around use.