Subject: [Leica] Leica Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180 vs. Vario-Elmar 105-280
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:45:47 +0100

Hello friends:

I was looking in a brochure on both high-end Leica zoom lenses: the
Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180 f/2.8 and the Vario-Elmar 105-280 f/4.2.
How do these two lenses compare qualitywise? I heard that the Apo is
truly outstanding and in line with the prime Apo teles. Is this also the
case for the Elmar although is not called Apo?

Apart from optical quality, how do these lenses behave in practical use?
The both weigh almost 2 kilos, and together with R8 and winder, that
would be around 3 kilos. Is it still possible to handhold these "beasts",
or are you practically obliged to always use a tripod? Are they a joy to
use or a burden to take? If the latter were the case, there would be not
much use in getting either one of them (I would be using them especially
for holiday-travel purposes).

Would it be wiser to go for a prime lens like the new Apo-Elmarit 180
f/2.8 or the Apo-Telyt 180 f/3.4 which is now somewhat discounted,
instead of one of both zooms?
If a zoom is the way to go, which one would suit me best: I have at
present following R lenses: 28 f/2.8, 50 f/2.0, Macro 60 f/2.8 and 80
f/1.4. It would seem I could either sell the 80 f/1.4 and get the 70-180
f/2.8, or keep it and go for the 105-280 f/4.2 which will give more range.

Thanks for any advice on the matter.
Best greetings,

Pascal
Belgium

P.S. The Belgian importer could not help. Can you believe it, but they
said they don't have even one sample of these lenses in stock, and they
added that no dealer in the country had such lens!!! How could you
reasonably be expected to spend such big money on a lens (they are among
Leica's most expensive ones) without even trying or holding them?

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r