Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica 35mm aspherical 1.4
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 17:04:38 +0100

On 21-03-1998 12:17 Bruce R. Slomovitz wrote:

>I've been considering a purchase of the new 35 mm focal length f1.4
>aspherical lense.  Does anyone have experience with the lense?(snip)
> Perhaps
>one of you fine chaps can tell me if you think the quality and results
>obtainable with this lense, justify it's high cost.  Also what kind of
>investment would this be down the road?

The Summilux 35 f/1.4 ASPH is a keeper. Get it, you will enjoy it
forever. Especially its low light qualities are outstanding thanks to the
aspherical element. I have already obtained spectacular results with this
lens in very low light conditions, where any other would have failed.
This lens is arguably the best lens Leica ever produced for the M series.
On the downside, if you put the lenshood on it (as you should be doing in
any case) a rather large part of the right lower corner of the M6
viewfinder will be obstructed.

An alternative for you is the 35 f/2.0 ASPH if you do not need the extra
f-stop. It will cut the price almost by half. And both lenses have the
same qualities. The Summicron is smaller than the Summilux, so this might
also be of some importance.

Pascal

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r