Subject: Re: [Leica] A Chatterton Story
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:50:01 +0000

Don,

>When the condition of the
>lens was not satisfactory, we offered to refund immediately, but the buyer
>wanted us to sell the body only. It was priced as a set, based on condition
>and at a very reasonable price and on consignment. I simply wanted to
>satify the gentlman with a refund, and not get into a big argument.

Thank you for this clarification but I'm afraid that your charactarization of what
happened is not completely accurate. It's also leading and because of that,  expressed to
a conclusion that is both untrue and unfair.

I did not begin our conversation " with a nasty, insulting and unfriendly  manner", nor
was I looking for an argument. We did end our conversation in a mildly curt manner
but that was predicated by your immediate and final decision to not even consider
exchanging only the lens (I wasn't interested in buying only the body as I already had an
M4P and a 50mm. I was equally interested in having a 40mm as it is a length I like).

As I've written, I didn't find either of the options you offered me in keeping with the
letter of your reputation. Returning the camera would've been a rewardless exercise that
I considered a waste of time and keeping it, by your stolid terms, left me feeling that
you weren't interested in my purchase satisfaction.

I stand by my assertion that while the body was in a condition I could agree was
"mint-", you did mis-state the condition of the lens and that, being the basis of our
disagreement, has not been satisfactorily addressed.

I do recognize the respect you've earned by many here and elsewhere, but I also
remember our conversation well. If you found me disagreeable you must have mistaken
my dissappointment for 'nastiness'. I'm sorry for leaving that impression on you but
none of this is said happily.

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez