Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux-R ?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:34:02 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 01:28 PM 3/31/98 +0100, you wrote:
> >I was wondering. Why is not possible to make
> >a f1.0 lens for the R camera, or is it? Has it anything
> >to do with the greater distance between the back of the
> >lens and the shutter? Or would it just be to expensive.
> >Probably a combination of both.
>
> Focusing would be inaccurate. You need a rangefinder to focus a 50mm 1.0
> lens good enough to be reliable. I suppose they could make a custom screen
> for the R8 that is optimized for f/1.0. A split image rangefinder
> (simulated, I know) or microprism, but then focusing would be less accurate
> at smaller apertures unless one changed the screen. Not an elegant
> solution. And the lens would be massive!

Such a specialty lens I'm sure doesn't see many sales, even Canon's.
And the RF version would be fine, since it wouldn't make sense to use
flash at f/1, so you don't need all the meter sophistication of the R.
AF for such a lens would probably be more accurate than manual, however.

I vote that Leica doesn't worry about it and spends the R&D money on
developing a 20-35 zoom f/2.8.

donal
- --
Donal Philby