Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful camera features?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 10:29:41 -0800

Shawn London wrote:

> If you want an electronic, gadgetized rangefinder, buy a Contax G2.  I
> don't think that I am alone in stating that I like the M6 precisely
> because it is so simple and uncluttered.  In terms of convenience
> (built-in TTL meter) and function, the M6/M6HM duo seems to be the best a
> mechanical rangefinder is likely to get as a niche product.  Why spoil it
> by trying to make it something it isn't?

How, pray tell, would a 250 flash sync speed or intermediate shutter
speeds clutter up an M6?

What the M6 isn't is a camera neeeded for current professional work,
given the style needs (occasional flash fill in daylight) and production
needs (no weeks of time to wait for perfect conditions) and perfect
exposures (a need to quickly bracket to provide transparencies scanable
by less than qualified people).  I love using M cameras, but too often
in making a living, they stay in the bag and the Nikons come out to
quickly and easily get the image on film and off to client.  With the
two simple changes mentioned above, the Ms would, for me, be able to do
90% of jobs since they would be flexible enough to leave the SLRs at
home.  TTL flash metering would only be a bonus.

Anyone interested in old DOS machine??  Uncluttered and simple.
Unspoiled by Windows or Mac OS.

donal
- --
Donal Philby