Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful camera features?
From: Mark Newport <newport_m@utpb.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 98 10:00:19 -0800

>Doug wrote:
>>
>>One would think that an effective "street" camera would need as
>>many automatic functions as possible for maximum responsiveness
>>yet what I'm reading here is that the simplicity of the M6 is
>>what makes it so responsive.

For me the camera must be "emotionally responsive".  I have to "feel" the
scene. I have to experience the moment through the viewfinder window with
no mirror blackout or flashing lights or numbers. Even the M6 meter readout
bothers me a little (I have M4-P's). The frame lines add some order to the
scene and that's all I want. My pictures, as are all photographs I suppose,
only physical memories of one's life experience however extraordinary or
mundane. The Leica M's seem to be the least distracting of instruments one
might use to record such experiences. That's for my personal work, at
school, I use the very latest wiz bang, motor driven, autoexposure,
autofocus equipment available (EOS-1n) and everyone is happy with the
results. To each his own; I wish it was 1960.

Mark