Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 12:52:56 +0200

>I am not so much interested in theoretical or filosofic arguments, only
>if one or the other way of implementing the multizone exposure system
>results in better results in the field or not. Does the F5 system lead to
>"better" results (or a higher number of usable shots) than the R8, as one
>could imagine, or is this just hype?

You put the word "better" between quotes and that is where diaagreement
could strat. Better is a word with a thousand interpretations and will not
bring any meaningful results while talking about optics or films or
whatever.
I made  a test for a magazine comparing the R8 and the F5 metering in
normal practise (shooting pictures of people, buildings,
landscapes,objects, indoor and in the open, with strong backlighting and in
a multitude of other situations with adverse light conditions.
The result: in most situations the F5 and the R8 made exposures a half stop
or a full stop higher or lower. Most were within the range of exposure
latitude, so the exposure metering of both systems worked correct, that is
sensitometrically. The differences were not systematic, but random, in some
situations the R underexposed where the F overexposed or was correct.Or the
other way around.  But no clear predictable pattern differentiating the two
systems emerged.
French magazines made also very careful tests and noted that the F5 matrix
metering  shifted the exposure at most a half stop either way, compared to
a hand held incident metering method. This half stop is detectable but if
you like the way the meter exposes is a different story. Upshot?
Both metering systems are correct as far as the exposure is
sensitometriclly correct. The shifts in exposure are also clearly visible,
still within range, but now that elusive word 'taste' has to taken into
consideration.
Better here is not the word. Different interpretaions OK.
BTW: all matrix systems, even the F5 one will give wrong results in very
special exposure situations. Human judgement is still needed and so human
intervention. If you know the exposure habit of the R or the F, you know
quite soon how to correct and when.
My postion is simple: any modern camera can give excellent exposure results
with a little help of the human holding the device.Maybe we should start
knowing our equipment as well as possible. That enhances the success score
enormously.
Erwin