Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 14:26:23 +0000

Pascal wrote:

> results in better results in the field or not. Does the F5 system lead to
> "better" results (or a higher number of usable shots) than the R8, as one
> could imagine, or is this just hype?

Don't know about the meter, but the guy I work with just got an F5
friday and it is HUGE, and the viewfinder is DARK.  It has nice
controls, from what little I could tell in looking at it for the 2
minutes I had before running out on a shoot, but I could not get
over how big it is.  I think it is 1/4 again as big as my old EOS 1
was and that thing was rather large.

IMHO all this meter stuff is just BS.  You, as the photographer, have
to know what you are wanting exposed correctly and how to expose for
that light, no meter will do it perfect all of the time, and TTL (be
it a center spot TTL or Matrix TTL) is easily fooled by high
reflectance subjects, backlighting, hard sidelighting, low
reflectance objects.  If you know how to use an incident meter
properly you will end up with better, more consistent exposures in
90% of the shooting situations you will encounter.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto