Subject: [Leica] Cool Leica Pictures
From: Robert Rose <RJR@usip.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 17:24:00 -0700

I have been watching this thread with some disbelief.

How could anyone claim that these pictures could have been taken with a P&S camera?

The focus motor, shutter, flash pop, and wind level on most P&S is so loud that the subject would be distracted.  The zoom motor sound would have made the boy look at the camera, and the woman turn her head, turning the image into a diary record, something other than what it is now.

The flare of most P&S cameras would have made shooting with the light bulbs in the field impossible.

I could go on, but these are exactly what they are billed:  really cool Leica images.

Case in point.  My daughter was the Wicked Witch in the school production of Wizard of Oz.  I had a 90mm Elmarit-M on an M6, shooting with NHGII 800, no flash, mostly at f/2.8.  Good friend next to me had her P&S ready.  When her daughter (munchkin) came out, up she jumps, wooor, click, snap, flash pop, buzz, then HORRORS END OF ROLL buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to rewind, while everyone looks at her in disbelief.  I lift M6, silently click off shot of munchkin.

When I saw her next she sighed, "my picture didn't turn out so good."  I handed her the picture of her daughter.  Her reply?

You guessed it:  "Oh, my God, look at this picture!"  And then, "when did you take this?"

I rest my case.

Bob