Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Eric's site / Christian's Remarks
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 20:47:32 -0700

My, my, what furor and negativism Christian Becker’s remarks have spawned.
For a country that brags daily about freedom of speech it is quite a
revelation.  But the issue here is not freedom of speech, rather it is one
of accepting criticism.
All too often our egos are badly bruised when, upon considering the merit of
something witch we consider grand, someone else does not shower us with
compliments (real or false).
And I have noticed that when someone on the LUG announces "some photos at my
URL", soon may viewers of the work go gaga with praise upon praise.
While praise and encouragement are important for development, we are no
longer children and should be able to withstand criticism.  Where would we
be if along the way we had not been told that improvement is in order or
that something was  not as perfect as we believed?  Without criticism we
stagnate.
While my purpose here is not to judge Eric’s work or agree with Christian
assessment of the same, I want to praise Christian for speaking his mind and
for not making some lame sugar-coated text-book remark taken straight out of
Earl Nightingale’s "How to Make Friends and Influence People".

Joe C.