Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] RE: Eric's site / Christian's Remarks
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:28:56 -0400

     Regarding Christian Becker's recent remarks about Eric Welch's web
     site pictures, and the various responses those remarks elicited, Joe
     C. wrote that "the issue here is not freedom of speech, rather it is
     one of accepting criticism," and that "we are no longer children and
     should be able to withstand criticism," without which "we stagnate."
     And someone else---I couldn't tell who---wrote that "the responses
     seem to be geared more at an aggressive attempt to deny the right to
     criticize or have an opinion."

     But I would suggest that the issue is neither "accepting criticism"
     nor the "right to criticize."  We see criticisms and disagreements on
     the LUG all the time, and anyone who voices an opinion (e.g., on the
     LUG) or displays his work (e.g., Eric's web site) should either want
     or at least anticipate and be willing to accept some criticism.  The
     issue is really the nature of that criticism.  Is it constructive and
     offered for the benefit of the one criticized, or is its purpose only
     to feed the ego of the critic by denigrating what is criticized?  As
     Jorg Willems observed, a critic "starts contributing when he explains
     why, how[,] and what could be improved."

     Art Peterson