Subject: Re: [Leica] Comparison of screw and bayonet lenses
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:00:28 -0400

I assume that your 1954 Elmar is the red scale variety. If so, I believe
that you will see VERY LITTLE improvement in your photos from newer lenses
in these two focal lengths. You can add a 35mm Summaron, also a very
capable performer, to your group for about $300 and have a very nice outfit.

I find that using a proper hood with the above lenses helps to control flare.

Cheers!

kw

>Peoples comments would indicate that the newer lenses are superior to
>the older lenses.  As I use a IIIc I was wondering if the lens characteristics
>are noticably worse than the newer lenses, or are the differences so small
>that in practice (i.e. "normal photography") they would not be noticed.
>
>At the moment I have a 50mm f3.5 Elmar from 1954 and a 135mm f4.5 Hektor
>from 1955.
>
>Should I stay with these lenses (cheapest option)
>Are there better screw mount lenses which would give me performance more
>equal to the newer lenses (more expensive option)
>Or are the newer lenses sufficiently better that I should consider
>changing up to an M series camera with bayonet lenses (most expensive
>option)
>
>Thank you
>Richard Urmonas
>rurmonas@senet.com.au

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>