Subject: [Leica] Newbie to be -- My experiences with G2 / M options?
From: "Daniel Ho" <hod@idirect.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:23:31 -0400

I am a Nikon F2 and G2 User.  While I like some of the G2's automation and
am quite impressed by the Zeiss optics, I still feel that I a "manual
photographer" if there is such a thing.  I have run quite a bit of film
through the G2 but can't get used to it for "making" pictures vs. using it
to take a quick snapshot.

While making a picture, my neurons fire in a way such that using my F2 or
other manual cameras is intuitive and using AF is actually more difficult..
I can't get over checking to see that the AF is reasonable, to look for
"focusable" area and watching for problem areas for the AF...  I realize
that this is fairly minor complaint of a generally excellent camera system
(and I'm picky) and not a big deal to the majority of people, but for me it
takes away from the making of a photo.

Having lurked for a while, I feel it may be safe now to come out and ask a
few questions.  I am thinking of either trading in the G2 or supplementing
it with a M series camera.  Most of my pictures are taken using a 35mm lens.
Subjects include travel pictures, some in low light--and daily sights that
amuse me.

What is the best combo for me to get as a user?  The variations seem
endless.  The likely components that I've see are:
- - new M6
- - new M6HM
- - used M6
- - used M4 with additional light meter
- - 35mm last generation Sumicron
- - 35mm Asph. f2
- - 35mm Asph. F1.4

As well, anyone want to trade M equipment for a very nice G2? ;-)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Daniel Ho/Toronto