Subject: [Leica] More G2 / M options / Leica Prices / Rantings
From: "Daniel Ho" <hod@idirect.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 01:23:56 -0400

Gary,

It sounds as though you've gone through the same process as I have.  I'm not
fanatical about Leicas yet <grin> and actually quite like the G2.  The
camera is very capable and the Zeiss optics are excellent.  The only thing
that throws me off is the AF.  If it kept all the gadgets and was manual
focus, I'd be very happy...

I'm not knocking the AF, it works exceptionally well on most subjects and
may even be quicker/better for candid work.  However, when I am trying to
make a picture, the new mental focusing process throws me off.  If I stuck
with it, it'd probably become 2nd nature to me as well.

I was weaned on manual focus and have learned its quirks both pros and cons
such that I can use my photographic tools efficiently and effectively.  Now,
with AF, I have to relearn how to do some things, and that is throwing off
my composition when I'm trying to work quickly.  When I'm given time to work
things out, the AF can work out just as well for me.  I can see that perhaps
for new people that are just getting into "serious" photography, they may
been weaned on AF point and shoots and actually prefer the AF capabilities
of the G2.

That brings out the next question that is on the back of my mind.  It isn't
well formulated but...

How do you see the prices of Leicas being affected as the portion of the
demographic that collects Leicas (my guess is older, wealther, males that
were raised with the Leica mystique) ages?  My impression is that many in
the younger generation, coming into more disposable income, are more
interested in digital cameras and may not even know what a Leica is.  My
guess is that besides the asian economies being soft (contributing to less
prospective Leica collectors/users) that more and more collections will come
into the market and that the prices will drop.  Will it drop to the level
where used equipment becomes more in line with other quality marques so that
I can afford more Leica toys?

I don't know.  This is just one of my random musings...I'm still miffed that
the cigar rage has raised the prices of my stoggies to the crazy levels we
see now.  When will the madness end? ;-)

Regards,
Daniel Ho/Toronto