Subject: Re: [Leica] offtopic:35mm slide/negative scanner
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 98 23:48:49 +0100

Ferdinand wrote:

>I'd like to get into scanning my negatives and slides so that I can =
preview
>my shots before having them printed by my lab. I'd like to ask some
>opinions on the ff. 35mm slide/print film scanner:
>
>a.) Microtek Scan Maker 35T Plus for PC
>b.) Polaroid Sprintscan 35 LE PC
>c.) Nikon Coolscan LS-20  Coolscan II
>d.) Minolta Dimage Scan Dual

Ferdinand,

I=B4ve had my Nikon Coolscan LS-20 for about two years now and I can =
say it really does the work! I bought it in Japan so the price was =
certainly right. At that time it came bundled with Nikon=B4s own =
software, Nikon Scan, but I later changed to LaserSoft=B4s scanning =
software, SilverFast. When I did it felt like my Coolscan was =
upgraded. It became faster, and SilverFast is so much more fun to =
work with. Nowadays I think SilverFast is bundled with most Coolscans.

Coolscan LS-20 in combination with SilverFast is in my mind the only =
way to make your Leica pictures true justice! Of course, if you=B4re =
really in the spending mood, go for Nikon=B4s LS-1000.

Regarding your other scanner choices I only know what I=B4ve read. =
And they are all good scanners! Maybe the Polaroid Sprintscan is even =
better then my LS-20, but if the price is of any concern of yours the =
Nikon LS-20 will probably give you the most for the money spent.

Claes