Subject: [Leica] No bokeh, no stupeh
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 05:52:36 +0000

Alan,

Folks on the list thought you were kidding with your original post, so we
(including myself) joked back in an (admittedly strong) teasing manner.
Don't take it seriously.  We have all been "attacked" at one time or the
other on this list.  The fact is you have a point of view, and an
interesting one at that.  Most may not agree with you on this point
possibly, but that's ok, right?  Let's hear more.

I can't remember your original post, but if I recall correctly, you talked
about how these "no bokeh" photos can make for some interesting long-term
viewing.  I cannot argue with this really, though I certainly would not lump
everything that is not sharp into the category of uninteresting (it's
probably not what you like that motivated the responses, by the way; it's
what you don't like).

I think of two general categories of photography that meet your criteria,
but the two are quite different.  First might be photographs similar to
those by Gary Winogrand or Lee Friedlander.  Especially with Winogrand,
there can be this controlled chaos, where everything is sharp and the
subject is clearly rendered and identified, but there are unsettling, often
humorous, elements in the also-sharp background or foreground.  This kind of
stuff was shot with a Leica, often on the fly. The second group of all-sharp
photos might include very studied landscapes or still lifes, where much care
was taken in set-up, composition, etc.  Which of these (or other) groups of
photographs most appeal to you?

John McLeod