Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Photos
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 18:23:52 -0400

><http://members.tripod.com/~Tina_Manley/index.html>

Tina,
Very nice work indeed. I don't quite understand those who object to the
Noctilux because of vignetting or light fall-off on the edges. It's
unnoticeable here, and in fact some edge darkening helps direct the eyes to
the subject and keeps them from drifting off the edges of the print in
light areas. I often darken the edges of my black and white prints with 10%
or more edge burning while enlarging, just to get that effect.

I'd love to have a Noctilux, and will certainly get one someday. It's a
remarkable tool. I recently swapped for a 50 Summilux, which has some
pleasing low-light characteristics itself, though not like this.

I'm also interested in your use of Xtol. I tried it and got very thin
negatives, following Kodak's times and the warning to use plenty of
developer to avoid exhaustion. I suppose I should do some real testing, but
no time. I decided to stick with what I know.

Again, really nice stuff.

Bill Welch