Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Serial Numbers
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 09:17:17 -0700

Bruce,
We have been through this before.  Some folks think it is not wise from a theft or fraud standpoint to give the exact serial number.  I suppose it goes like this:  You post that you have lens #1234567.  Then you get a letter from X saying he lost 1234567 in a robbery, so give it back, etc.  If you had only posted 1234xxx then Mr. X has only 1 chance in 999 of guessing your number.  Otherwise, I can't see the reason why we only post partial numbers.

If you read the latest Viewfinder you will see that not every Leicaphile is honorable.

In any event, I don't hesitate to post full numbers myself.

Bob

>>> Bruce Feist <bfeist@flock.org> 05/07 7:28 PM >>>
Hi, Noel and other Leicaphiles;

I'm curious; why don't people include exact serial numbers in these messages?  (It comes to my mind in this message because I have
an Elmar 2.8 in the same batch, and am somewhat curious about just how close they are.)

Bruce