Subject: [Leica] Help with Leica III (model F)
From: root@senet.com.au (root)
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 15:49:34 +0930 (CST)

My wife dragged me off to an inspection for a deceased estate auction.
Among the items were several cameras and one of the appears to be a
Leica III or model F.

This camera is in very abused condition.  The top plate looks like
someone dragged it behind a car for a few kilometres.  The serial number
is illegible, the word Wetzlar is just readable.  My identification is
based on:

- - It has a slow speed dial
- - The viewfinders are seperate
- - the viewfinders looking from the back are both round.

Is my identification correct?

It is fitted with a collapsible Summar lens which is also in bad shape.
I was not able to extend it fully.  The aperature ring appeared frozen.

I was not able to examine the camera very well.  The shutter appeared to
operate (at least appropriate sounds were made).  There is no
lens cap.  There appears to be some type of lens shade with it (at
least there is a small pouch attached, the type used for lens shades.

My questions:
I am thinking about possibly buying this as a "rough" user i.e. using
it when I would be too worried about using my better cameras.  Would
a III make a good user or were there some inherent problems with them.
The lens is probably a junker.  I am only looking at this camera as
a rough user and so will only pay bottom dollar.  Or should I avoid
it anyway.  Given the very poor condition of its externals would this
camera even be worth a CLA ?? (assuming it needs one).

How good was the Summar, how much would it be worth spending on repairs
or CLA ?

As this auction is on Monday (Australian time) prompt answers would
be appreciated.

Thank you,
Richard Urmonas
rurmonas@senet.com.au