Subject: Re: [Leica] no one can help on this one?
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 12:28:47 -0700

Francesco,

Change the ISO film speed rating on the flash. The flash does not know what
film you are using.

Example:

If you are using ISO 100 in your camera and you dial ISO 200 into the flash
unit it will give you approximately 1/2 the light output that you would
normally need. It will take some experimentation to get the ratios that you
want but it will work.

Get a Rosco sample gel pack and cover about 1/3 of the flash head with the
warming color that you want and it will blend right in with the ambient. I
find the #3409 - 1/4 CTO  to be about right for me in most lighting
situations.

For a flash unit it use a Nikon SB26. It is bigger than I like and I will
look for something smaller one of these days. The advantage of this unit (
and probably with lots of them if I would look ) is that on manual mode I
may dial in any f stop that I choose. I am not limited to just 1, 2 or 3
stops like so many of the smaller units. I will dial in from f 1.4 to f64.
You may also dial in full power down to 1/64 power if you desire. I
understand that this unit is designed for automatic TTL with the Nikon
brand but in manual mode with the sensor mounted on the flash it also does
wonderful things.

The biggest part of the whole process is to experiment and see what works
best for you in your situation. Once you have the mechanics down it will be
duck soup,  more so in your situation because you have tight control over
the subject and you have a little more time in which to work.

I did see your original post by the way but assumed someone with much more
knowledge would jump in.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA