Subject: Re: [Leica] Help
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:57:55 -0700

I have never tried it, but does anyone successfully shoot action with
an M camera?  I don't mean someone walking down the street, I mean
a sports event where you can get in close, or something similar.....
Is anyone good enough with their M lenses to be able to get a large
percentage of sharp shots with an M when shooting sports?

At 12:07 PM 5/16/98 -0400, LEICAMAN56 wrote:
>George,
>
>I've been shooting my kids' Little League for the past 5 years.  As much as I
>love my M cameras, they are virtually useless for sports (don't start up
about
>Viso's, LUGgers).  The only use for the M might be for dug out candids or
team
>photos.  For actual game pictures, the 80-200 would be the minimum you should
>use.  The 300 should be very useful.  Use a monopod for camera support.  I
>presume you are shooting color neg.  Use 400 Fuji or Kodak during the
daytime,
>800 Kodak Max for evening or night games.
>
>The 80-200 will be good for shooting kids on base or pitching.  The 300 is
>needed for shooting the batters and outfielders.  Shoot wide open most of the
>time to keep your shutter speed up and to blur your background.
>
>I don't know what your SLR is, but autofocus is helpful, but not neccessary.
>I use a Nikon (God forbid!) F4 or F5, 80-200/2.8 and 300/4.5 EDIF.  I also
use
>the 400/5.6 and 560/5.6 Telyts with the Nikons using a special adapter.
These
>are really excellent image wise, fast to use and don't cost anywhere near
what
>the modern long lenses cost.  I got both lenses at a total cost of less than
>$2,000.  The Televit really works almost as good as AF.
>
>Anyway, this is probably getting into overkill for what you want to do.
>
>The main problem is reach, so use the longest lens you can get.  Baseball
is a
>good sport to shoot because it is more predictable than say, soccer.  You
know
>where the pitcher, batter and other players will be most of the time.  You
can
>focus and compose easier because of this.  There isn't constant motion, so AF
>is not really neccessary.  Use the monopod because with longer lenses you
need
>the stability for optimum image quality and a tripod is too cumbersome.
>
>With practice, you should do just fine.
>
>Bill Rosauer

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions