Subject: [Leica] R8 aperture readout with 280APO wide open
From: dvcinc@swbell.net
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 11:28:47 -0700

Lucien, Ted and other R8-280 owners:

Nils Thorsen returned my call yesterday. He said the problem was a cam
that was not properly causing the 2.8 readout wide open when mated in
combination with the R8. He said cams could be adjusted! Maybe?? He
suggested I send the lens in and have the ROM strip put on it and solve
the problem. I am sure that would do it, but at a price.

My feeling is that this is just the nature of the combination, older 280
and new R8, and not to worry about it, especially since both Lucien and
Ted have had the same experience.  I have tested both the lens alone on
the camera and the lens with extender and, although the readout is 3.4,
the lens is in fact wide open and at 2.8. It does bug me that this is
true with such a costly combination, but probably not enough to go out
and spend the money to have the ROM strip added to the lens. It works so
life is too short to worry about it.

Thanks for the help and comments. I guess I feel better now.

Bob De Vries