Subject: [Leica] leica quality control and R-8 design etc.
From: dvcinc@swbell.net
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 10:52:14 -0700

Greetings:

I have been reading the recent thread on the R8 in response to Erwin's
interesting post on its design. And, I have read of some luggers
apparent problems and the debate about Leica quality. I just wanted to
add my recent experience.

During the past 60 days I have bought or traded for the following items
while the rebates were in effect:

M-6HM (SN 2,424,331 for those keeping track)
21MM f2.8M with finder
Winder for R8
35-70f4 R rom zoom
80-200f4 R rom zoom
100 f2.8 APO macro elmarit

Each of the above items arrived without problems or blemish. All perform
wonderfully.

I also bought an R8 from another lugger earlier this year. It too works
perfectly and I could not be happier with the camera. When I first
looked at the R8 in a camera store I too did not immediately care too
much for the feel of the camera. I, along with others, were comparing it
to the Nikon F5. All, including myself, agreed that the F5 had a better
feel. I did note that the Leica had a quality feel to it that the Nikon
lacked. The shutter had that satisfying thunk. The viewfinder was far
better. The controls were much better. After owning the R8 and adding a
winder, I now find the camera a delight to hold and use and like it much
better than an F5. I think it just takes some getting used to.

I have used Leicas exclusively for over 25  years. I have had a minimum
of problems with Leica equipment. I cannot bring myself to consider
other systems because I have been spoiled by Leica quality and Leica
glass. Nothing in life that is man-made is perfect. IMHO Leica comes as
close as anything. I am very happy with my R8 and new M6.

Bob