Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocusing
From: Emanuel-Temp_Lowi@READERSDIGEST.COM
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:41:42 -0400

I read with interest the increasing debate about the future of
autofocussing and our Solms masters. I've been an M-camera devotee for more
than 20 years, so I guess manual focus has been my creed for that long too
(actually, I used other RF brands before Leica, so longer...).
When I first took the leap into SLRs (for longer lenses, mostly) the thing
that annoyed me most was the lack of certainty with focussing, the way that
- - even with lots of experience - precise focus remains quite subjective,
something you've got to hunt around for. Not so with the M, where you can
be sure almost instantly if you are in or out.
I switched to autofocus last year and find it very useful for much more
than just sports, wildlife or fast action. The ability to get shots of
people, with the whites of their eyes in perfect focus and without making
them wait more than an instant while I fiddle around, is really very
useful. More time to spend on composition or catching the instant when
their facial expression is really ideal. I don't think autofocus is a
limited-use feature.
P.S. I still use the M-camera for much of my work, because it is still less
threatening to point one at someone than a big bayyery-powered beast. These
are the trade-offs. I bet Solms will have to go for it eventually...