Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R8 design, Erwins design review
From: John McLeod <johnmcleod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 13:45:09 +0000

The R8 is an unusual camera.  I can usually tell if I'm going to like a
camera within the first 10 seconds.  Not with the R8.  I actually hated it
when I first tried it in a store -- too bulky, chunky, heavy, clumsy.  I
bought an F5.  Nice camera, if you want and need all the options.  Over
time, I found I was spending too much time thinking about and switching
between Dynamic Focus and regular focus, Matrix and Integral metering,
manual focus and AF, CF4 On and CF4 Off.  Options are fine, but no panacea.

I finally sold the F5 got an R8.  Couldn't be happier.  The camera feels
GREAT in my hands now and I feel as if I have regained control.  As Erwin
suggests, it was made for manual operation.  If you want to focus the lens
manually and set the aperture and shutter speed yourself, you should give
the R8 a try.  Sure, it has some auto options too, for quick shooting
situations.  But most of the time, my pictures are better when I'm in
control.  The R8 was made for this.  It's not better than an F5, just
different.

John McLeod