Subject: Re: [Leica] cron vs lux
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 19:26:58 -0400

At 07:33 PM 07-06-98 EDT, charlie trentelman wrote:
[snip]

>depends eric-- i have no idea if a new summilux is coming out, but I'll tell
>you the same piece of (apparent) blasphemy I've been telling other people on
>this list: If you want to take pictures, a Summicron is an excellent choice
>that you will never, ever regret. I am firmly convinced that the improvements
>that people see in the 1.4 aspherical lenses are at least partially, and
>perhaps, totally, in their minds. [snip]

The improvements are real (though not as earth shattering as some would
have you believe) at the widest apertures, but for the smaller apertures, I
agree with you.  Further, for a few hundred dollars, you can pick up a DR
summicron made some 30 or 40 years ago that is a perfectly fine lens.  Mine
is excellent, every bit as good as my 50 Summilux in the field (except at
1.4, of course  ;-)).  My only sorrow is that I can't fit the 'eyes' on my
new M6HM.

The same applies to anyone contemplating the purchase of a new 50, and are
put off by rumours of a possible new version.  Maybe a new formulation will
outperform the old one on Irwin's optical bench, and for some people, this
may be important.  But the older lenses can be bought used at great prices
and can and do take excellent photographs.

Dan C.