Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux vs. Summicron
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:13:50 +0100

Phil wrote:

><< I am contemplating buying a Noctilux to replace my Summicron. What kind
> of results will I get from the Noctilux when stopped down to f2.0? Will it
> be close to what I get with my Summicron?  >>

Hi Phil,
Only one thing to say!!! Go for it!  It's the most exciting 50mm lens you
can purchase, providing you like working in the exciting darkened world of
Leica photography..  Colour or B&W.

The Summicron is a great lens and all kinds of folks will tell you things
like " the Noctilux isn't sharp, it isn't worth having because of...etec
etec etc."

The truth is you'll find yourself shooting some of the most magical looking
photography you have ever done.

It's heavy?  That's only relivant to what's heavy. Hell an M6 can be heavy
to one person and nothing to another.  The end result is, get the Noctilux
and a whole new world of exciting photography will open to you.

However, if you are not prepared to shoot stuff wide open....f 1.0 or very
close to that, then don't bother getting it!  If you are one of those,
"well I always stop down to 8 - 11 - 16 folks, save your money and buy
film..Stick with the Summicron.

But if you are into cool meaningful picture taking.....go Noctilux! :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant