Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-what do pros use?
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 17:10:51 -0400

Charles Dunlap wrote:
SNIP
> Leica needs to target the magazines in the US and abroad which have readers
> likely to want and be able to afford their cameras. They have a very
> conservative approach to advertising and do a poor job of explaining
> exactly what sets Leica cameras apart. One of the best ads. that I've ever
> seen for a camera was the Contax G1 ad. that ran in several of the highest
> circulation photo magazines. It very clearly explained what made the camera
> different and worth buying. Leica ads. essentially assume that you already
> know what Leica is.
>
> If Leica does embark on an improved ad. campaign they need to hire the
> right agency. They need a US agency for their ads. in this country. The
> text in their promotional brochures is written in a strange German English
> with funny quotation marks.
>
> -Charlie

Charlie,

Good point. One magazine I can think of is Cigar Afficionado. Not
because cigar smokers are necessarily photographers but because the ads
in that magazine are targeted for people with more discretionary income
than you can shake a stick at. I mean we're talking $10,000 Blancpain or
Piguet watches, outrageously expensive autos, articles on learjets and
gulfstreams. All that stuff. Obviously, it is targeted towards people
who must have the best regardless of their ability to use it. So, why
not have them subsidize real users. And, hopefully, Leica will not waste
their time with things like Eine Stucke or Danish Wedding collectibles
but, rather, straight off the line stuff that increased sales will help
amortize the R&D and tooling so that they'll be around for the rest of
us.

- --
Carl Socolow

Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.