Subject: [Leica] Leicas and Doctors
From: "Ernest Nitka" <eenitka@axess.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:36:04 -0400

Just to disperse some of the heat about Leicas and Dentists and widen
the already cotentious discussion I would add this story/comment:

I was in a new camera store in town that is known as a PROS store ( which is
of
course why amateurs go there - no sense talking to idiots at K-mart or
Lechmeres).
Anyway I saw on the shelf a consignment Nikon F5 and inquired how he
happened to
have a recently released camera of this type already on the used shelf.  The
owner of
the store replied - "well you know it's one of those doctors with more $
than sense - he had
to have the F5 , got it and now wants the R8 - go figure!?"  I then nicely
informed him
that I was a physician and he turned several shades of purple.  We have
since become
friends and he knows No Doctor Jokes when I'm in the building.  Actually I'm
waiting for the
physician with the R8 to get tired of it and put it on the consignment shelf
for ME.

Comments: We don't typically say when we see someone in a Porsche -I bet
they don't know how to
drive that thing to it's limits - no instead I think to myself - gee that
should be me ( normal jealousy without
the contempt).  So why is it different with cameras.  I am lucky cause I can
afford the Leica AND
because I am an amateur.  I can shoot whatever I want and my only critics
are my 14 and 11 year old
( my wife only wants to see photos is they feature our dog).  I know that in
my negative files now some
of my more interesting shots were NOT taken with Leica but with a student
camera that my kids had
at the time.  But as has already been posted there is the additional
pleasure to be gained by using
a piece of very refined equipment like the Leica.  Now if I were a pro I
would be interested in what
was the most efficient cost effective equuipment and probably would not have
the time or money to
consider the sensual nature of the act of photography.

Sorry for the long post.

Ernie Nitka

http://www.axess.net/~eenitka