Subject: Re: [Leica] Rick's Place
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:38:09 -0800

>I'm looking for some recommendations on photo gear. I'll be leaving next
>week to spend a few days travelling through Morocco and plan on visiting
>places not so frequented by tourists. I've been warned of beggars, cons
>and thieves. I usually travel with a Mamiya 6MF and 75 as well as an M
>camera with 4 lenses (I like rangefinders).
>Since I'd like to travel as light as possible and yet maintain the best
>quality, should I go for the medium format (only a "normal" lens) or
>settle on the smaller negative with the versatility of 4
>lenses(21,35,50,90). The best shots will probably be blown up to 8x10 and
>film is both chrome and b/w for both formats. My Leica images blown to
>8x10 rarely look as good as the medium format ones blown to the same size
>(all else being equal). Any ideas?
>
>Thanks and regards to all,
>Jorge Fernandez
>US Embassy, Madrid

Which do you shoot with less the Leica or the Mamiya? Do you find a
preference for the compositions of your photos (indpendent of grain) with
either system?

One way to look at it as an opportunity to try something new. Pick one
camera (the one you are least comfortable with) and one film and work
within those confines. Don't think in terms of what you cannot do with that
setup but what you can do with it. You will probably learn more about
technique and the possibilities of the equipment if you concentrate on one,
constrained set of variables. Since you're not on a professional assignment
where you need to deliver the goods you're free to give yourself some
leeway to explore. Sometimes the results can be a pleasant surprise.

Happy shooting,

Charlie