Subject: [Leica] Re: Minilux Zoom
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 21:22:41 +0200

On 12-07-1998 17:49 Bud Cook wrote:

>For those lucky enough to have attended the Bay area soir=E9e, I'd be
>interested in hearing about your impressions of any slides taken with
>the Minilux Zoom.

Bud,

I have seen already many standard 10x15cm prints on Kodak Royal paper,
and I must say the results are outstanding. Last Saturday, my local photo
shop showed me the results with and without flash taken on Fujicolor 400
NPH Professional film. Impressive, but I haven't seen them enlarged yet.
While one cannot blame the excellent lens of the Minilux Zoom, there are,
at least in my opinion, some important drawbacks in comparison to the
Minilux:
- - top shutter speed limited to 1/250 instead of 1/400 (could especially
be problematic in bright sunlight when you are using a speedier film
because of the zoom lens);
- - no indication of shutter speed on top LCD panel (but then, of course,
you have to pull the camera back from your eye which in any case is not
very handy...);
- - no aperture priority mode (you are always in program mode);
- - while the lens is great for being a zoom, there is the question of the
widest opening being at 3.5 at 35mm or even 7.0 at 70mm instead of 2.4 in
the case of the Minilux' Summarit 40/2.4.

On the other hand, it looks great (full white titanium, no leather
parts), has the option of an extra flashlight, and the the AF-manual
distance setting ring is now protected so that you don't accidently
switch from AF to manual. It's a mixed bag, but I would choose the
Minilux over the Minilux Zoom without hesitation. I am not in the least
concerned about the Minilux Zoom's lens qualities, but there are simply
too many other limitations for me.

Meanwhile, I have taken a Minilux (not the Zoom version) on a visit of a
NATO fighterplane airbase a couple of days ago, in order to test it. I'll
get the results in a few days and keep the group informed.

Hope this helps.
Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
An Apple a day keeps greedy Microsoft away !